We would like to reassure customers that we're working hard to continue to provide services during this challenging time. Although we are making changes to the way we work, with the majority of our staff working from home, we are still available to take your calls and respond to emails. At present, we hope customers will not experience any significant disruption to services. For further help please read our Coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQs. Read FAQs >

Frequently Asked Questions

Have an insurance question?

You're in the right place! We've put together the most frequently asked questions by our customers - start by selecting a topic below.

Frequently Asked Questions
Can I freeze my policy whilst I look for another vehicle?
Unfortunately you cannot freeze or suspend a policy whilst you are looking for a replacement vehicle. Most Insurance Companies will however allow a 14-day period to either change your vehicle or end the insurance. On the 14th day, if no advices are received from yourself then the policy will be cancelled in accordance with a final seven days' notice sent to your last advised address, as per the Insurance Company's policy booklet.
How can I cancel my policy?
If you want to cancel, you can write to us with the date you want your policy cancelled, and ideally, the reason why. You need to make sure that you return your current certificate of insurance or covernote. In some cases we can terminate policies verbally, over the phone, however we would still need you to return your certificate of insurance or covernote in order for any refund to be released. The adviser will inform you of any refund, or any additional payment due, following the cancellation.
How come when you go ahead with a policy you are not advised of the possible cancellation charges?
The cancellation figures are not part of what have to be advised to you when you take the policy out, which is why we send the policy booklet out to you and also offer the 14-day cooling off period.
I still have the vehicle in my possession but I want to cancel the policy - what can I do?
If the vehicle is still in your possession then it is standard company procedure to ask for a small letter advising the reason for cancellation and the Certificate of Insurance in order to end the policy. This can either be posted or sent to us via email.
What proof do I send in from the DVLA to confirm I have sold the vehicle or declared it off road?
We will accept a letter from the DVLA advising you are not the registered owner and keeper of the vehicle. If the vehicle has been declared off the road then we can accept either a Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN) receipt from the Post Office or again a letter from the DVLA advising that the vehicle is off the road.
What will I be charged if I cancel my policy within 14 days of receiving my policy information?

If you cancel your policy within 14 days of receiving your policy information, we will retain £30 of the policy issue fee and the insurer will make a reasonable charge for the time you have been on cover. This may vary depending on the insurer. If you have any questions please call our customer service line for more information.

Why can't my partner cancel my policy when I have sold the vehicle?
We cannot cancel the policy until we have verbal or written confirmation from the policyholder that they wish to end the Insurance. This is as per our Terms of Business supplied to all customers.
Why do I owe money even though my policy is cancelled?
If you chose to pay by instalments, it may be that the charges made by your insurer and us are greater than the amount you have paid so far. Insurers sometimes charge on a short-period basis, meaning that the charge is not directly proportionate to the amount of time covered on the policy.
Will I get a refund if my policy is cancelled?
Insurers all have different cancellation charges and not all policies will allow a refund. Call our customer service line for further information.
Do I get a refund if I've had a claim?
If a claim is either pending (or has been settled against you) in the current period of insurance, the insurers will not allow a refund. For clients paying by instalments, this means that the instalments must continue to be paid until the premium is paid in full.
If I have an accident and don't want to make a claim, do I still have to notify my insurer?
Yes, it is always advisable to tell your insurer of any incident the insured vehicle is involved in, so that your file is always fully updated - even if no claim is to be made.
If I have a total loss claim do I still need to cancel the policy?
If you have a total loss claim on your policy then certain Insurance Companies may allow you to change your vehicle. Please contact our Customer Service department and they will advise you if this is possible and what the best course is to take.
If there was a claim and my motorcycle was being repaired, would I receive a courtesy bike to use?
This depends on your Insurance Company and we advise you to contact our Claims Department to discuss.
I have protected no claims bonus, so will my policy be affected by a claim that is my fault?
Each insurer have their own set of rules on how many claims are allowed before you lose your protected bonus benefit. A fault or pending claim on your policy history may increase future premiums, as it represents a higher risk to the insurers.
I have received third party correspondence, what should I do?
This should be forwarded, unanswered, to us. Should we have any questions or requirements we will contact you upon its receipt.
What is the excess?
The excess on a policy is the amount you are required to pay to your insurance company before they will pay out for any claim. If your excess is £100 on your policy, this means that you will have to pay the first £100 before your insurance company will make any contributions.
Why do I have to pay my excess if an accident is not my fault?
If you have to make a claim from your policy then your excess is payable. You can often reclaim this, depending on the circumstances.
DVLA Check Code - How to obtain one
How long will my covernote or certificate take to arrive?
Under normal circumstances, your covernote will be sent immediately after we take payment. We will either email or post your covernote/certificate first class, depending on how you prefer to receive correspondence from us.
I've lost my certificate or cover note, what can I do?
Contact us as soon as possible. We can offer Special Delivery at a surcharge if your documents are needed urgently. We would advise that you contact us several days in advance if you need to tax your vehicle in the near future.
Why do you need driving licence check codes?
We ask for driving licence check codes on many policies, including all that are purchased via online sources, to check not only that you hold the correct licence type to ride your vehicle, but also any motoring convictions, dates of birth, full names, driving restrictions and country issued. We will also need the last eight characters of your driving licence number. This is for all riders named on the policy. If you live in Northern Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey, or the Isle of Man, the DVLA’s check code service isn’t available to you, and we will instead request a copy of your counterpart driving licence as well as a copy of both sides of your photocard driving licence.
Do you offer breakdown cover?

We offer full UK and European breakdown cover. It's got all the bells and whistles:

  • Hire bike (of a similar sort)
  • Home start
  • Puncture repair
  • Recovery
  • Transport to your destination, back home, or to a garage
  • Accident recovery
  • Emergency accommodation costs
  • Rail fares
  • Sea crossing fares

Policy Booklet (274kb PDF)

I'm going on a European tour this summer, can I get cover for that?
Yes, ALL of our policies have a minimum of 30 days European cover, while others have a full years' worth. We also offer a full UK and European breakdown service called Flux Rescue.
I'm worried about the legal costs that an accident might incur. Do you offer any protection for this?
Yes, every one of the policies we sell has £50,000 worth of legal cover included. We feel that this is really important, so we don't charge you for it. It's completely FREE.
I'm worried that if I have an accident, I'll be left on my own to chase the insurer, is that likely?
No, this will NOT happen, we have our own in-house claims team that will chase the insurer on your behalf, to ensure you receive the very best service.
I've recently bought some new bike gear, can this be insured too?

Yes, we offer a "Helmet and Leather" policy which covers your gear for the first £1,000. It doesn't matter what the gear is, Arai, Shoei, Roof, Alpinestars, Sidi, RST, Wolf... anything. This also has a separate excess, so claiming on this will have no effect on your No Claims Bonus.

Helmet and Leather Policy Booklet (285kb PDF)

What if I'm injured in a bike accident?
We offer personal accident cover, that, in the event of a serious injury, or worse still - death, could pay out up to £12,500. Naturally, you'd hope to never need this cover, but at £17 per year, how can you justify not taking it?
MyBikesure - Managing Your Policy Online
Can I add a rider on my online account?

You can't add a rider online, but our customer service team will be happy to help you.

Can I download my certificate?

At the moment, you can only download your policy booklet, however, we will be adding this option in the future. Your policy booklet can be found in the "Overview" section.

Can I get a quote for a second bike online?

If you're looking to add a new bike to your policy (rather than replace your current bike) you will need to speak to our sales team in person. For convenience, our sales team can call you back - simply click here to request a call. They may be able to arrange a multi bike policy. If the offices are closed (after 7pm in the week, after 4pm Saturday and all day Sunday) you can enter your details here and we will send you a quotation. It's best to speak to our sales team in this case though, as you are an existing customer and we can look at any additional discounts or the multi bike option.

Can I get a quote for changing my vehicle?

You can't get a quotation for a change of vehicle on your online policy. To do this, call our change of vehicle team and by speaking to them in person, we will be able to find the most competitive policy that suits your needs.

Can I still talk to someone?

Yes of course. The MyBikesure account is designed to help you get paperwork or documents to us conveniently, however, our customer service team are also available for any queries you may have or to help you with your forms.

Can I view who can drive my car?

Yes, in the "Overview" section under "Insured Parties". This shows the drivers named on your policy.

How can I delete something I've uploaded?

If you haven't clicked the send button yet, the item you have uploaded should have a red square next to it (or an orange square if the item hasn't loaded correctly). Simply click this to delete it. If you have already clicked the send button, the file will be on its way to our administration team. If you want to submit a different document in its place, you can either call our customer service team or send it via email (with your reference number) to [email protected].

How do I get access to my policy online?

If you already have a password, click here. You can log in using your email, date of birth and password. You can request a new password if you have forgotten it.

If you don't yet have a password, call our customer service team who can send one to you by email.

How do I get a password?

If you don't have a password, you can request one from our customer service team, whose details you can find on our contact us page. It will be sent to the email address that we have on your policy and takes less than 10 minutes. You can simply click on the link in the email and enter your details and password and will then have the chance to enter a new, more memorable password.

I've completed my paperwork online, when will I hear from you?

Your paperwork will be processed by our administration team. They will send you confirmation that all of your paperwork has been processed and that your policy is complete. If there is anything else needed from you, they may call you, or send you an email to explain. If you elected to receive your correspondence in writing when you took the policy out, they will write to you with any further requirements if you can't be contacted by phone.

My paperwork won't upload

If something you are uploading shows an error (such as "file too large"), please try to remove the item by clicking on the orange square next to it. If you have other items to upload in the same section, you can still click submit, however the item that hasn"t uploaded properly would not be submitted.

Please ensure that the file is an acceptable type (such as a Word document or jpeg).

The website isn't working, what can I do?

If you are having problems logging in or encountering errors, contact our customer service team who can help you, or report the problem to our webmaster.

What can I do online?

You can view your policy details, such as cover, riders, your personal details, policy excesses, download your policy booklet, complete your agreed value form, upload photographs, see if any paperwork or forms are outstanding and complete them online, link to your Premium Credit account (for our clients who pay monthly) and update your email address or password.

By managing your policy online and completing or sending any paperwork that we need from you, you can avoid delays caused by the post, and the inconvenience of having to post things to us.

In the future you will be able to download your certificate and schedule and make payments too.

What do I do if I've forgotten my password?

You can simply go to the log in page by clicking here and can request a new password. You will need your customer reference as well as your date of birth and email address. A new password will be emailed to you with a link to log back into your policy.

Where can I view my policy booklet?

Your policy booklet can be found in the "overview" section.

Payment Options
Have I paid for my direct debits yet?
Please contact our Customer Service department who will be able to advise of how many, if any, direct debit instalments are outstanding.
How can I pay?
However you like. We accept all major credit or debit cards; alternatively you could send cash, a cheque, or postal orders. We also offer an instalment plan, whereby you can spread the payment over two, three, four or ten months.
If my friend paid for my Insurance does this mean you will automatically debit their card for my renewal?
We will only debit the card details held if they are in the policyholder's name.
When is my renewal due?
We will contact you at least 2 weeks before you renewal is due, to advise you of the costs to reinsure your vehicle for the next year. Please note that the expiry date and time of your Insurance is also shown on your Certificate of Insurance.
Can I carry pillion passengers on my quad and do they have to wear any safety clothing?
You can carry pillion passengers on your quad provided that it is suitable for an additional rider. However pillions do not have to wear a crash helmet, although we do advise them to wear one for their protection.
Do I have to wear any safety clothing whilst on my motorcycle?
You must wear a helmet at all times on your motorcycle in accordance with the law. However you are not required to wear protective clothing although we advise you to wear it for your protection.
Do I have to wear any safety clothing whilst on my quad?
There are no laws about wearing a helmet on a quad, although we would advise you to wear one for your own protection.
When can I carry pillions on my motorcycle?
You can carry pillions on your motorcycle provided that you are over 17 and hold either a Full Motorcycle Licence, a Light Motorcycle licence or a full car licence dated from before 01/02/2001 if your vehicle is under 50cc. Please note that this only applies if your vehicle is suitable to carry pillions. If unsure, we recommend you contact the DVLA for clarification.
My policy confirms that I need to keep my vehicle garaged whenever I am not using it; what if I go to a friend's house and leave it in their drive - am I then not covered?
Depending on your policy and who you are insured with, if there is a garage clause on your policy then this applies to the designated garaging or home address and possibly the surrounding area. We advise that you either check your policy booklet or call our office for clarification.
Where can I get a Sold Secure or Thatcham approved locking device?
You can purchase a Sold Secure or Thatcham approved locking device from most motorcycle dealers.
Why do I need to use a Sold Secure or Thatcham approved locking device?
Some Insurance Companies may require you to use either a Sold Secure or Thatcham approved locking device whenever the vehicle is not in use. These are most commonly a disc-lock or lock and chain. If you do not use one when required this may invalidate any claim you may have.
Can I add a rider to my policy?
Yes, it is usually possible to add a rider, however it is all dependent on their details and the type of policy that you have. We would need full rider information including any previous claims and convictions. Naturally, they too would need the relevant licence for the vehicle in question.
Can I use motorcycle or commercial No Claims Bonus on a car policy, or vice versa?

As a general rule, the type of No Claims Bonus that you use on a policy must be the same as the type of vehicle that you are insuring. So, motorcycle NCB would not be acceptable on a private car policy, or commercial NCB would not be acceptable for a motorcycle policy.

The underwriters like to ensure that you have experience on the type of vehicle that you are insuring.

If you only have a type of NCB that is different to the type of vehicle you want to insure, please discuss this with us when getting your quotation. We may be able to find a suitable policy for your needs and driving experience.

Can I use No Claims Bonus that I earned outside of the United Kingdom?

We need to know what country your NCB was earned in as it can affect your quotation. The majority of underwriters will accept NCB only from the United Kingdom. We do have some schemes where we can accept NCB from other selected countries, so it is important that we are informed of the origins of your NCB before you accept the quotation. We can then make sure you have the right policy for your driving experience.

If the NCB is not from the United Kingdom but you have told us that it is, you would either have to pay an additional premium or your policy could be cancelled.

Can I use someone else's No Claims Bonus?

In the majority of cases, the NCB that you use to gain a discount on your policy with us must have been earned on a policy in your name. If the policy was in someone else's name, but you were the named driver, you would not have earned your own NCB. You may qualify for an introductory discount instead, so please let us know if this is the case when you are getting your quotation.

Very occasionally NCB can be transferred to another person, however, you would need to discuss this with the quotations clerk who is dealing with your quotation prior to you accepting the policy. This is not common practice though and would only be available is the underwriters of the policy agree.

We advise discussing your NCB options in detail before accepting your quotation, so we can find the most appropriate policy for you depending on your driving experience.

Do I need to tell you if any of my details change?
Yes, it would be very important to tell us about any changes, as it may have an effect on the validity of your insurance. Things to tell us might include:
  • A change of address
  • A change of garaging arrangements
  • Any convictions, points or bans
  • The intended use of the vehicle (i.e. commuting, business)
  • If the vehicle details have changed (registration number, alarm, modifications etc)
How come your company does not call customers to advise them that their policy is due to be cancelled or that it is up for renewal?
It is not company procedure to call every client that is due to be cancelled or their policies lapsed; instead we are now emailing and text messaging clients, where possible, to advise that their policy is about to end as well as sending out the reminder letters.
How would I go about making a change to my policy?
You could contact our Customer Service team, who would find the most competitive insurer for you. This could well be your current insurer, or it may be beneficial to cancel your policy and place you with an alternative insurer. Full advice would be given to you during the call.
I don't know how many years NCB I have

If you are unsure of how many years NCB you have, you need to speak to your most recent insurance company and ask for details. If you have more than one vehicle insured at a time, you can't add the two lots of NCB together to make additional years – they remain as two separate lots of NCB.

I need to tax my vehicle?
To get tax on a vehicle, you need a valid M.O.T certificate, and proof of insurance - either a certificate or a covernote. However, you can also get your tax online, using your insurance policy number.
I've been asked to supply four photos of my bike for an agreed value. What do I need to do?
You need to send us four recent colour photographs of your bike. These need to consist of photographs of your vehicle taken square on showing each side, front and rear with one including the registration number. Please ensure that there are no obstructions on any of the photographs, for example, a person or an object placed in front of the vehicle. If you have a digital camera, you'd be more than welcome to email them to us, or compile them on to a disc and send that instead.
I've moved to a better area but there is an additional premium due, why am I being charged?
Each Insurance Company rates the areas differently, so whilst one company may offer a refund for moving, another may charge an additional premium. How the vehicle is being kept could also affect the policy, for example if it was being kept in the garage at the previous address but is now kept on the driveway at the new address, this may affect the premium.
I've received my policy documents and the schedule shows a different amount to what I have paid, why is this?
The schedule of cover only shows the basic Insurance premium and does not include any fees or optional extras you may have on your policy.
My bike has been modified, would you need to know and would it affect the cost?
Yes, we would need to know about any modifications to the bike, as this may affect the insurance premium depending on the level of modifications. However, we can cover virtually ANY modification. It's also worth noting that things like End Cans, Huggers, Belly Pans, Seat Cowls and Double Bubble Screens are no problem, so long as the bike is still road legal.
My friend who is the same age as me has got a cheaper quotation, why was I not offered this rate?
There are many different factors that may affect the policy price such as age, address, the type of vehicle insured and whether there are any claims or convictions. Small details such as occupation may also affect it. Each little piece of information affects your policy, which is why we must be informed if anything changes.
What does NCD stand for?

This stands for "No Claims Discount". You earn a year's NCD for every full year of a policy in which no claims are made either by you or a third party. Some policies, such as classic car policies, are not based on NCD and so at the end of such a policy you would not have gained any NCD. Only the main policyholder earns NCD. NCD is also sometimes referred to as NCB - No Claims Bonus.

When does my No Claims Bonus go out of date?

If your NCB expired over 2 years before the start date of your policy, you generally cannot use it. Please ensure that you discuss this with us when getting your quotation, as an additional premium would need to be paid if your NCB cannot be used if your quotation was based on it being in date.

There are some policies where NCB is not earned, but they will allow you to keep it up to date. If you are unsure about this, speak to the provider of the policy you had and ask. Of course, it is best to discuss your NCB options in detail before accepting your quotation, so we can find the most appropriate policy for you depending on your driving experience.

When do I qualify for protected No Claims Bonus?
Each insurer has their own ruling, generally you must have at least four years' no claims bonus to be able to protect it although some will protect with just one year. Often we can protect your no claims bonus at renewal, free of charge.
When I ask for a change of bike but it doesn't fit that particular Insurance Company's criteria and I have to cancel my current policy to start a new one, why do I lose my current No Claims Bonus?
No Claims Bonus can only be earned on a policy that has run for a full consecutive 12 months and if your change of vehicle does not meet the Insurance Company's criteria then we have no choice but to place your policy with a new Insurance Company and begin earning that year's No Claims Bonus again, however we should be able to transfer any full years' No Claims Bonus you may already have.
Why do you ask for No Claims Bonus proof?

NCB can allow quite a large discount as it shows a good driving history. This must be proven to allow the discount. Unfortunately, insurance fraud is on the increase and we want to protect our clients from price rises caused by it by verifying documents such as NCB, driving licences and other important information.

What We Do
Can I change my quad policy to a motorcycle policy?
Please contact our Customer Service department who will be able to advise you of the best course to take.
Can I insure my bike online?
Yes, we at Bikesure have moved into the 21st century. You can insure your bike online at any time - day or night! Visit www.bikesure.co.uk to get a quote.
Can I ride my quad on a full Motorcycle Licence?
If you passed your full motorcycle test before 01/10/2000 then you should have automatically been given the category B1 on your driving licence, this entitles the licence holder to ride 4 wheel vehicles up to a maximum weight of 550kg - so essentially most quads. If you're unsure we recommend you contact the DVLA and they will be able to advise you whether or not you hold this benefit.
Can you cover my cherished Harley Davidson?
Absolutely. We've yet to come across a Harley we couldn't cover, from standard 883 Sportsters to heavily customised, high value, one of a kind bikes. We offer a range of benefits for this kind of vehicle, and can accommodate even the most unusual requirements:
  • Agreed values up to £32,500
  • Limited mileages
  • Modifications
  • Imports and classics
Does the policy entitle me to ride anybody else's bike?
Usually yes, although there are conditions to this. It is usually dependent on:
  • Age
  • Occupation
  • Conviction history
  • Licence type

Assuming you do qualify for this benefit, the cover on other people's vehicles is usually restricted to Third Party cover.
Do you insure quads?
Yes, we insure virtually any quad that is available to buy. However, there are a couple of conditions:
  • Our quad insurance schemes start at 19 years old.
  • Between the ages of 19-21, maximum quad engine size is 350cc.
Do you insure trikes?
Yes, we insure a wide range of trikes, up to £30,000 worth, from 50cc mobility vehicles, to 7-litre V8's. For us to insure your trike, all you need is a full car or bike licence.
I'm 16 years old, and I'm trying to insure my scooter, can you help?
Of course. As long as you have a provisional licence, and have completed or booked your CBT, we can help you out.
I've got a heavily modified bike; it started life as a Bandit, but it's now a completely modified Streetfighter. Can you help me out?
Yes, definitely! We can insure virtually any Streetfighter, whether it's a GSXR 7/11 with a Martek frame, or a supercharged big-bore Bandit, with a jack up kit, and USD forks, no problem. We can even cover:
  • Turbo charged bikes
  • Supercharged bikes
  • Bikes with NOS modifications
  • Hybrid bikes
  • Custom hardtail chops
  • Agreed value
I've got a small collection of bikes to insure, do you offer multi-bike insurance?
Yes, we do. Any small collection of standard bikes is fine, although bikes with extremely high values, or modified bikes, would need to be insured seperately.
I've got quite an unusual, high value cruiser. Is this going to be a problem?
No, not at all. We cover pretty much any cruiser you can throw at us. Indian Dakotas, a Triumph Rocket III, Yamaha Wildstars, Ural's, Victory's... all of them!
What does Comprehensive cover actually cover me for?
Under Comprehensive cover you are insured against:
  • Liability for death of or injury to third parties (including passengers)
  • Liability for damage to property
  • Liability of passengers to other parties
  • Loss or damage to the vehicle as a result of fire or theft
  • Legal costs
  • Accidental damage to the vehicle
What does Third Party actually cover me for?
Under Third Party cover you are insured against:
  • Liability for death of or injury to third parties (including passengers)
  • Liability for damage to property
  • Liability of passengers to other parties
What does Third Party Fire and Theft actually cover me for?
Under Third Party Fire and Theft cover you are insured against:
  • Liability for death of or injury to third parties (including passengers)
  • Liability for damage to property
  • Liability of passengers to other parties
  • Loss or damage to the vehicle as a result of fire or theft
What if my bike is an import?
No worries. As long as the bike is road legal, and you have a licence to ride it, it's all good.